This WBT will provide a sound technical overview on current UMTS evolution towards EPS (Evolved Packet system). Both sub-systems are covered, i.e., UTRAN’s migration to Longterm
Evolution (LTE or E-UTRAN) and Core Network’s Evolution to an all-IP Evolved Packet Core (EPC or System Architecture Evolution, SAE).
Content includes description of key features, architectural, physical and functional aspects according to OSI Layer 1-3.
- Module 1: The need for UMTS evolution
- Module 2: Conceptual Considerations
- Module 3: E-UTRAN Downlink-/Uplink Physical Layer
- Module 4: EPS Procedures
- Technical staff from Infrastructure suppliers and MS manufacturers,
- Software companies, measurement equipment suppliers and
- Network operators responsible for network planning and optimization, commissioning, integration, operation and maintenance
Prerequistes: UMTS Basics, HSDPA Basics, IMS Basics
Learning time: 4 - 5 hours